Name:
Location: One of The Five Boroughs, New York, United States

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Mood in Nirvana's song "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

The music from Kurt Cobain's group Nirvana moves me in various ways. The mood is painful and full of anguish. I'm not a white guy from Seattle, but I can relate to the pain and anguish. So can the millions of Nirvana fans worldwide.

When people were listening to club music, rap, heavy metal, rock and roll, pop music, and jazz...this album by Nirvana went mainstream back in the final months of 1991. I remember because I was living in Florida at the time. I learned and came to appreciate the new music arriving in the scene. It brought out the inner feelings of pain and anguish inside me. It also just helped release the "Go Fuck Yourself Attitude" in music. This meaning I wanna listen to this and who cares if you don't like it because it's not mainstream.

A lot of the music helps release the tragic hero figure inside you. It's like you keep fighting and fighting and fighting but at the end you lose to the same opposing force everytime. Very tragic indeed. You make a good accounting of yourself during the fighting but at the end by hook or by crook you lose to the opposing force.

For example the tunes to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" song to me sounds like a mood very deep in tragedy. I never really like to pay attention to the lyrics, I like to listen to the sounds of the music and see how they affect me. That song is still one of my favorites to this day. It gets me pumped up feeling like I'm on the top of the world and at the same time I feel so down like everything is on top of my shoulder. Hence I feel like the tragic hero destined to die at the end of the conflict. The whole song is like a roller coaster of feelings up and down then up then down and so forth.

It's too bad I don't take any illegal drugs. Imagine what it would be like for me to listen to that song while intoxicated in alcohol and drugs. I might just probably blow my head away with a gun. The song is very painful in the sense that it pulls the light side and dark side together and tries to squeeze them both inside you. And you deal with it.

Maybe I'll do that when I'm old like 75 years old and retired. Just to see what the effects of the song will be like.

But this song also takes away fears I have. I don't really know how to explain it. It makes your fear of death disappear. At least for me. Back in the mid to late 90s while racing my car in the highways between 1AM and 4AM with others, I would accelerate my speed way beyond the speed limit and criss cross and even playing chicken with opposing drivers at the other side of the road. I had this feeling that I can't die. And if I die ... then so what. Perhaps that is why when Kurt Cobain died in 1994, many of his fans committed suicide.

Suicide is one of the dumbest things on the face of the Earth. If you are going to die, then make it count. Don't die an asshole in a garage due to the car's fumes. Die like a fucking hero. Go to the Middle East and blow up the terrorist with you. If you are going to die then make it worthwhile.

But man does that song pump me up. My problems just go away. At least temporarily. I listen to the song and it's like another person is in me. A person that just says, "Fuck You! Fuck Them! Get the Fuck out of my face! Leave Me Alone!" Great isn't it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

kuya ken..si donna toh..i dunno if u still remember me though,,nagchat na tau before sa YM..musta na?

Friday, June 09, 2006 1:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home